Saint Mary’s Hospital is the flagship organization of the Saint Mary’s Health System. Saint Mary’s was among the first hospitals in the region to offer laparoscopic surgery, a same day surgery unit, stereotactic breast biopsies, and the full range of maternity services, from a birthing center dedicated to natural childbirth to the expertise and technology of a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Saint Mary’s is designated as a Level II Trauma Center and houses the region’s only pediatric emergency care unit, caring for over 14,000 children annually. Saint Mary’s commitment to providing excellent healthcare services continues through its affiliation with Waterbury Hospital in the Harold Leever Regional Cancer Center and the recently approved Heart Center of Greater Waterbury.
Saint Mary’s was founded in 1906 by the Right Reverend Monsignor William J. Slocum, who designated the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Chambery to become the administrators of the Hospital. It is the Mission of Saint Mary’s to provide excellent healthcare services in a spiritually enriched environment. The Hospital is distinguished by its passionate commitment to meeting the healthcare needs of all residents in the Greater Waterbury area.
Saint Mary’s Dental Health Center has been responding to the dental needs of Greater Waterbury families since the 1930s. It is one of the oldest hospital dental centers in the state. The center provides a full range of preventive and emergency dental services for 6,500 adult and pediatric patients per year. The dental center staff is made up of a department chairman/clinical director, an attending dentist, a full time pedodontist and four dental residents. The support staff is made up of an operations coordinator, two dental assistants, student dental hygienists, and student dental assistants.